Friday 23 December 2011

Thinking of Warmer Climes



As the gales blow outside and the rain, sleet, and hail come bouncing down I am staying indoors and thinking about warmer times and places.  This was started by tidying the study and finding a copy of a photo taken in June 2009 that I printed off but never actual used for drawing or painting. So I decided now was the time for a picture with a bit of warmth in it; not something I'd find on Orkney at this time of year unless I was drawing the fire in the lounge.



 It's not my usual pen and ink (ie drafting pen) but you try and get warmth into a pen sketch (now there's a challenge!).  Scanning has washed the colours out a bit.

In 2009 I attended a (sort of) training course in Archaeological Geophysics at CNR (National Research Council) just outside Rome.  I stayed in a very nice hilltop town just outside Rome and a few miles short of CNR called Monterotondo. I enjoyed the course and met some really wonderful Italian students and academics; and ate some fantastic food!
   
 Monterotondo.

 At the end of the course, about 10 days, I was able to get a couple of days in Rome.  I spent much of my time just wandering around with only the vaguest idea of where I was or what it was I was seeing, though this was intentional.  As a result I have no idea where the stepped passageway was or what it might be called.  The wandering and being on my own meant that I had time to sketch anything that caught my fancy.


I did of course visit the more famous sites, including my absolute favourite the Pantheon where I had a play with my, then, new camera...



 However, I digress,  The painting is to wish everyone a warm and happy Christmas, no matter what the weather is doing, and the same for the new year!



3 comments:

  1. Happy New year.

    Thanks for sharing your Rome experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year to you too, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, I love to wander too! I was once locked inside a residential neighborhood in Rome by accident, when the automated gates shut behind me! Had to jump a wall to get out!

    ReplyDelete